Husman wins Yard of the Week

The final winner for Edmond Yard of the Week is unique in the fact that a passer-by will be some distance from the home occupying a 5-acre area and be treated to a wonderful display just along the property’s edges.

Karl Husman is the sole gardener at 5400 E. Danforth since 1965 when the family purchased the property covered in briars and named it “Greenbrier.” Karl has worked toward the simple goal of having a beautiful yard and has succeeded with 75 percent perennials and the other 25 percent filled with locally purchased annuals, which certainly have boosted the Edmond economy by the amount required for such a large garden.

The scenery along the drive on the country road section of east Danforth changes suddenly with bursts of color and a terraced area overflowing with a variety of shades and textures. The terracing is achieved with beautiful native stones that were brought in from Cherokee County by Karl over time. Being a corner lot, the area under cultivation is large but still edged neatly by a well-maintained solid lawn of predominantly Bermuda grass, with Rebel grass for shadier areas. The edges of the beds are precise with mulch helping to conserve water and keep weeds in check.

In August’s heat and dryness the fluffy flowers of many crepe myrtles in soft white, lavender, many shades of pink and a bold red are refreshing. Many of the plants come from natural self-seeding and are kept to a pleasing height by being pruned back to within a foot above the ground each spring. Nandina, yaupon holly, spirea, eunonymous, barberry, yucca, cleome, single-petal coreopsis and hydrangea add textures and color variety to the next level of the display. At ground level the Drift roses thrive along with celosia, yarrow, lambs ears, chrysanthemums, stella d’oro daylilies, coral bells, light capturing variegated liriope, marigolds, periwinkles, begonias, vinca minor, moneywort and creeping phlox.

A post oak, showing age and character, anchors the corner of the property while sheltering the high rock edged flowerbed overflowing with Snow on the Mountain, dianthus, dusty miller, periwinkles in three shades, begonias, bright red salvia, ageratum, impatiens, moneywort, iris and clematis.

Turning around the corner onto Brook Forrest road, the long flowerbed continues, but at ground level still edged by the perfect lawn. The full sun-exposed area is filled with artemisia, Russian sage, purple flowered ironweed, four o’clocks, hardy hibiscus, petunias, marigolds, coreopsis, zinnias, cleome and the surprise of single specimens of aster and corn flowers. Privacy and beauty are added with thick walls of honeysuckle, morning glory and sweet autumn clematis growing in wild profusion along the wire fence. The appetite for viewing more of this world of beauty created by a single gardener has to be satisfied with glimpses of large expanses of vivid green lawns punctuated by islands of flowerbeds, shade giving native trees and a peaceful pond with water lilies and fountains.

From the main road there is a still life scene of a welcoming driveway bordered by tall trees, numerous Japanese maples, burning bush, berried nandinas, blooming Rose of Sharon, flower-tipped viburnum and forsythia that will give you a golden greeting in the spring. In this shade columbine, begonias, salvia, chrysanthemums and creeping phlox show off their loveliness. Life in other states is remembered in the bowers of old roses from West Virginia growing along the driveway.

To help continue making Edmond beautiful, this week’s winner will receive a gift card from TLC and a gift certificate from Home Depot on Broadway. The six-month subscription to The Edmond Sun is being looked forward to by our winner. Along with these sponsors, Edmond Beautiful and the Edmond Area Chamber of Commerce we would like to thank this year’s winners and all the other nominees who have made Edmond so lovely.